Thursday, April 19, 2018

Learn More about this at:

First Time KS Registrants Required to Provide Proof of Citizenship

Any person registering tovote in Kansas for the FIRST TIME will be required to providesatisfactory evidence of United States citizenship. Individuals registeredto vote in Kansasas of the effective date of this requirement are deemed to have submitted proofof citizenship and are exempt from the requirement. Moving from one place toanother within Kansasor modifying one's registration records does not require the person tore-submit proof of citizenship, just an updated Voter RegistrationApplication. 

If a citizenship document is not provided at the time the person submits his orher Voter Registration Application, it may be submitted at a later time. Suchperson may (1) mail or deliver the document to the county election office bythe close of business on the day before the election, or (2) submit itelectronically by midnight the day before the election."Electronically" means fax, email, text or other electronic meansapproved by the Secretary of State.

Voter Registration Application- mail or walk in your voter registration application and a copy of your proof of citizenship to the County Clerk's Office, 216 E Lincoln Ave, Lincoln, KS 67455.  You may also fax or email your voter registration application and proof of citizenship to  Fax # 785-524-5008.  

Proof ofCitizenship- Valid Citizenship Documents

Here is a list of documents that are acceptable as evidence of U.S.citizenship for voter registration purposes:

·        Birth certificate that verifies U.S.citizenship

·        U.S. passport orpertinent pages of the applicant's U.S. valid or expired passport identifying the applicant and the applicant's passport number

·        U.S. naturalization documents or the number of the certificate of naturalization. (If only the number of the certificate of naturalization is provided, the applicant shall not be included on the registration rolls until the number of the certificate of naturalization is verified with the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services by the county election officer or the Secretary of State, pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1373(c))

·        Other documents or methods of proof of U.S. Citizenship issued by the federal government pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952

·        Bureau of Indian Affairs card number, tribal treaty cardnumber or tribal enrollment number

·        Consular report of birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S.

·        Certificate of citizenship issued by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services

·        Certification of report of birth issued by the U.S.Department of State

·        American Indian card, with KIC classification, issued bythe U.S. Department of Homeland Security (Note: This document applies only to asmall Texasband of the Kickapoo tribe with slightly more than 50 members.)

·        Final adoption decree showing the applicant's name and U.S. birthplace

·        U.S. military recordof service showing applicant's place of birth in the U.S.

·        Extract from a U.S. hospital record of birth created at the time of the applicant's birth indicating the applicant's place of birth in the U.S.

REMEMBER-if you move, or change your name, you must re-register!