Unit 1: Disaster Preparedness
Instructs team members how to prepare themselves and their neighborhoods for the hazards that may occur in their area.
- Describe the types of hazards that are most likely to affect your home and community.
- Describe the functions of CERTs and their role in immediate response.
- Identify steps to prepare yourself for a disaster.
Unit 2: Disaster Fire Suppression
Members will learn how to use a fire extinguisher and other equipment to suppress small fires.
- Identify and reduce potential fire hazards in your home or workplace.
- While working as a team, apply basic fire suppression strategies, resources, and safety measures to extinguish a burning liquid.
Unit 3: Disaster Medical Operations Part 1
Teaches members how to conduct triage, establish medical treatment areas and provide basic first aid for victims.
- Identify the "killers."
- Apply techniques for opening airways, controlling bleeding, and treating for shock.
- Conduct triage under simulated disaster conditions.
Unit 4: Disaster Medical Operations Part 2
- Perform head-to-toe patient assessments.
- Select and set up a treatment area.
- Employ appropriate care for wounds. Identify and treat fractures, sprains, and strains.
- Take appropriate measures to maintain the public health.
Unit 5: Light Search and Rescue Operations
Team members will learn light search and rescue planning, techniques and rescuer safety.
- Identify planning and size-up requirements for potential search and rescue situations.
- Describe the most common techniques for searching a structure.
- While working as a team, use safe techniques for debris removal and victim extrication.
- Describe ways to protect rescuers during search and rescue.
Unit 6: Disaster Psychology/Team Organization
Addresses organization and management principles necessary for a CERT to operate successfully. Covers critical incident stress for victims as well as workers.
- Describe the post-disaster emotional environment.
- Identify the steps that rescuers can take to relieve their own stress and that of disaster survivors.
- Describe CERT organization and documentation requirements.
Unit 7: Terrorism
- Learn what you need to know about Biological, Nuclear, Incinerary, Chemical and Explosive materials in your community. How could these affect you and what things to look for.
Unit 8: Disaster Exercise
- In a mock disaster setting with hazards and victims, operate as a team to apply the skills and knowledge learned.