Kansas Law states that all real property and personal property in this state, not expressly exempt, is subject to taxation. All tangible personal property owned as of January 1st must be listed in the name of the owner, with the County Appraiser each year for taxation purposes. The statutory definition of personal property is “Every tangible thing which is the subject of ownership, not forming part or parcel of real property”.
Every person, association, company or corporation who owns, holds or controls any tangible personal property, is required by law to list their property for assessment with the County Appraiser on or before March 15th each year.
On or before January 1st, the County Appraiser will provide assessment forms for the general public to list their personal property for assessment. The County Appraiser may grant the property owner an extension to file if the owner submits a request in writing on or before the March 15th deadline, stating just and adequate reasons for the extension. If renditions are not filed by the deadline, they will be assessed a penalty.
ITEMS THAT SHOULD BE REPORTED ARE:
- Trucks and pickups tagged 16,000 pounds or more
- Cars, trucks, pickups and motorcycles with expired tags
- Mopeds, 3 & 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, golf carts and dune buggies.
- Travel trailers, camping trailers and fifth wheelers that are not self-contained
- Flatbed and utility trailers
- Manufactured homes that are not considered real property
- Boats, boat motors, and boat trailers
- Construction equipment
- Pulling tractors and race cars
- Business machinery and equipment
REMINDER: REDITIONS MUST BE RETURNED TO THE APPRAISERS OFFICE BY MARCH 15TH OF EACH YEAR TO AVOID RENALTIES.
Should you have any questions about the valuation process or the reporting of personal property, please contact our office at 785-524-4958.